The term “sick building syndrome” was first coined in 1986 by the World Health Organization.

And while it refers to a building where people begin to feel unwell for no apparent reason, most sick building cases can usually be traced back to one culprit: toxic mold.

Although typically found in kitchens, basements and bathrooms, mold can thrive in any place subject to high levels of humidity.

Mold infestations can also spring up after water-related mishaps, such as burst pipes, roof leaks or flooding. And once mold forms, it’s easy for it to spread through your building via your HVAC system, leading to potential health problems for your workers and customers.


Why mold can be bad news for your business

Mold infestations can be a serious problem, especially ones involving toxic black mold. This mold feeds on materials found in most offices: carpet, insulation and drywall and releases spores into the atmosphere. When ingested or inhaled, the spores can cause a host of unpleasant, even dangerous health problems.

Common black mold exposure symptoms include:

  • Chronic sneezing and coughing
  • Irritation to the eyes, nose and throat
  • Rashes
  • Persistent headaches
  • Chronic fatigue

But the health effects of black mold can be dangerous in severe cases of prolonged exposure. In addition to allergic reactions to mold spores, these symptoms may include vomiting/nausea and bleeding in the nose and even lungs.

We should also note that while black mold is the most dangerous type of mold found growing indoors, many of the other common indoor mold types can lead to allergic reactions and respiratory problems. If your office has been exposed to mold and employees are starting to develop breathing issues, it would be advisable to contact a pulmonary expert (head to or similar websites to find one) for check-ups immediately so that the situation doesn’t get dire. However, as a preventative measure, you might find that getting the workplace free of mold on a regular basis would be a more cost-effective option.

Why your office needs professional mold testing

The benefits of professional mold testing include:

  • You might (rightly) suspect that you have mold in your building, but a professional can tell you for sure whether your building is healthy or not.
  • You’ll get detailed, accurate results on the location and amount of mold in the building.
  • Not all mold is immediately apparent. Some infestations grow behind your walls and can fester for years. Left unchecked, this mold growth can cause not just health problems, but potential structural damage. Professional mold testing can expose this issue.

A professional mold testing expert should also provide you with some advice on how to prevent mold outbreaks, such as employing dehumidifiers and exhaust fans.

Professional mold testing for your office

It’s normal to find some level of microorganisms in your indoor air. But excessive moisture inside your building from leaks, flood and other water sources can throw your indoor environment out of balance and lead to significant health hazards.

At Air Care & Restoration, our team can provide professional mold testing and inspection to ferret out any harmful bacteria in your building.

We’ve designed a 12-step mold testing and mold removal process that includes evaluation, containment, protection, HEPA vacuuming, surface sealing, scrubbing and a certificate of completion.

If you’d like, we can also restore drywall, trim, flooring and other building materials for a complete restoration of your indoor space. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you, your workers and your customers breathe better.